A big hello to all out there! So, my very first question to you is: How is quarantine treating us so far? I hope that all of you might be safe and carrying out your work with proper precautions being taken. So in our Indian culture, as we all know, the use of every spice has its significance. Cinnamon is one such fantastic spice.
The use of spices in food adds life to the food that is being cooked. The person who feels the aroma of the food, the person who cooks the food, the person to whom the food is being served gives a new feel and mood to each one. In short, spices make our life flavorful and aromatic.
In this worldwide spread of the novel COVID-19, no proper medication is being invented yet, so to protect ourselves, we all might be following some household medication that helps in improving our metabolism and boosts energy. One such spice that helps us heal the simple cough and cold and helps improve the metabolism is the use of CINNAMON.
Cinnamon is a great spice that acquires a lot of benefits. The spice is extracted from the Cinnamomum tree. This spice is also considered a superfood and outranks garlic and oregano too in the race. The inner bark of the Cinnamomum tree is used to make the spice itself and is one of the highly delicious spices. This authentic spice has many medicinal properties, for which it has been prized. The modern sciences have confirmed the same, stating that it has many medicinal qualities, with a perfect twist of antioxidants.
The inner bark of the Cinnamomum tree acquires its unbelievable fragrance and flavour from the oily part, which contains the compound called cinnamaldehyde or can be known as coumarin to some. This compound is responsible for improving metabolism in the human body.
The very aromatic condiment called Cinnamon is made by cutting the stems of the tree of Cinnamomum, from which the inner bark is extracted, and the extra wood is then removed. Then this cutting is dried in the sun, it turns into strips, and these strips then curl up, forming a roll. These sticks are then grounded to form a thin powder, which is the powdered form of the spice. There are two types which are as follows:
- CASSIA: This type is well known as the regular cinnamon and used in our daily lives.
- CEYLON: This type is usually lighter in colour and bitter in taste. And is known as the true cinnamon. This Ceylon type is safe to consume when used in moderate amounts. And this type additionally contains lower amounts of the compound naming coumarin.
Cinnamon, as discussed above, acquires plenty of benefits; they may be health benefits, or they might help enhance the flavour of food. It helps improve blood sugar levels and helps lower the risk of heart diseases as well. Moreover, Cinnamon is used as a natural food preservative as Cinnamon contains a compound known as COUMARIN, which, when used in abundance, may result in risks of cancer and sometimes might result in the destruction of the liver. The warm, as well as the sweet taste of this spice, will make the kitchen, as well as the food, being cooked smell wonderful.
Pros And Cons Of Including Cinnamon In Your Diet:
- It may help in lowering blood sugar levels.
- It helps to relieve the menstrual cramps.
- Can be used to lose weight.
- Loaded with antioxidants
- Can be used to improve the sensitivity to the functioning of the hormone called Insulin because this very hormone is responsible for the generation of energy.
- It might help provide relief to those who are suffering from Alzheimer’s and Parkinson’s disease because in these diseases the person starts losing the structure of cells of the brain. Hence, cinnamon helps or provides relief by repairing up the cells.
- Not just for medicinal purposes, cinnamon can be used in other recipes such as cinnamon rolls, apple cinnamon muffins, cinnamon cookies, cinnamon oatmeal pancakes and many more delights too can be made. Another added advantage is that the fragrance can also make the food more flavorful.
- It might help in lighting up your tea each morning because when the cinnamon is infused in water and milk, it gives a fresh start to your day.
- May cause the damage of the liver or might lead to toxicity due to the composition of the compound called coumarin.
- The risk of suffering from cancer too increases if the cinnamon is taken in huge quantities.
- Might lead to the allergy to some in the form of mouth sores or tongue swelling or might lead to the itching sensation.
I hope now you know all about Cinnamon, and you can make a wise decision on how to include it in your diet.