You may wonder what Orzo has that makes it so special. If you have tried this pasta variety, you may know what I’m talking about. And if you haven’t yet, you should, since orzo is an exquisite and healthy type of pasta that lets you play around with the ingredients you pair it with, thanks to its versatility.
First things first
Orzo, also known as risoni (barley) in Italy, is a short pasta shaped like a large grain of rice. This is why many people confuse it with rice. But, since it is made of semolina, a flour that consists of durum wheat, it is a pasta type.
Do you fancy a bite?
There are several ways to prepare orzo. It can be served alone or in soup as a main course, and also as a side dish.
You may know how to prepare it, a really easy task, since you need to bring it to a boil and wait for a couple of minutes until it is ready.
You might have learned how to make an orzo salad recipe on some warm summer night, or a fried orzo dish for a Sunday family lunch.
But today, you will learn how to prepare a garlic and Parmesan orzo pasta that will make your mouth melt.
What is it about?
This delicious garlic and Parmesan orzo dish is a one-pot recipe that comes together in just 20 minutes. The tender orzo combined with the creamy and cheesy sauce is the perfect dish for a chilly winter evening. Is there anything better?
What you are going to need
- 2 cups of chicken broth.
- 1 cup of dry orzo pasta.
- 2 cloves of garlic.
- A pinch of salt and pepper.
- 1 cup of heavy cream.
- ½ cup of grated Parmesan cheese.
- 2 tablespoons of fresh parsley.
Step by step
- To begin with, take a saucepan and place it over medium-high heat. Add the chicken broth, the uncooked pasta, the cloves of garlic and season it with salt and pepper.
- Once the preparation has been brought to a simmer, reduce the heat to low and let it cook, stirring often, until all the liquid is absorbed. Make sure that the orzo is well cooked. If it isn’t ready, add ¼ cup of extra broth and let it simmer for a couple more minutes.
- Then, add the heavy cream and grated Parmesan cheese and mix well to combine everything.
- Finally, sparkle the preparation with chopped fresh parsley and serve it!
- If you are a vegetarian, you can always replace the chicken broth with vegetable broth.
- You can add some chopped mushrooms to make this recipe even tastier. They will turn it into a gourmet dish.
- Don’t be afraid of being creative. After all, that’s what cooking is about! You can change parsley for any other fresh herbs that you prefer.
Everybody loves pasta. Honestly, there’s not a single person who doesn’t enjoy a nice pasta pot on a cold evening. Not only is it comforting, it is exquisite and healthy as well. And don’t forget how easy it is to prepare!
What’s more, you can combine it with whatever you want, in any season and at any time. Mushrooms, chicken, beans, meat, vegetables, a wide variety of sauces. You name it, orzo pairs it. It is as practical as it sounds.
Why don’t you check if you have an orzo packet around your kitchen and start preparing this delicious dish?
Let the magic happen while your senses enjoy. You won’t regret it!