Rice is the preferred ingredient in most houses in the world. Its versatility and easy way to cook it has made this humble grain the number one staple.
As a side dish, rice goes perfectly with anything, either meat or vegetables. It also works as a main meal in preparations full of proteins like chicken, eggs, or beans.
Rice’s popularity is beyond discussion. But sometimes, you cannot get the formula for making perfect rice and then transform it into exquisite preparations.
You may have some trouble making a decent rice dish because you do not have clues on how to prepare different recipes with it. So, you end up cooking the same dish all the time, or with a few variations that are also repetitive.
There are endless ways of making delightful rice dishes, and some of them are quite easy. So, let’s discover 5 of them.
The secret behind the perfect rice
Before going deeper into the delicious rice preparations, discover the secret to making perfect rice every time..
The secret is simple water or the liquid used for cooking rice. Believe it or not, the amount of liquid you add to rice will define its cooked texture. It determines if your rice will be dry, hard, clumpy, or chewy.
You need to learn the white rice water ratio to have the base for an exquisite rice dish. The rule is as follows.
- The ratio for cooking white rice on the stove is 2 cups of water for 1 cup of rice.
- For cooking rice in an oven or microwave is 2 ½ cups of water per 1 cup of rice.
By following these rules, you will cook faultless white rice, suitable for any rice preparation.
Creative dishes with rice
Rice is a blank canvas. You can add various ingredients and create new dishes each time. Here there are some examples of exquisite and easy rice preparations.
- Rice casserole: It is one-dish coziness preparation. In this dish, there are mixed ingredients in a bowl and then baked. You have in one single bite grains, proteins, vegetables, and a lot of flavors. A basic casserole includes meat, vegetables, rice, and cheese. Variations may have broccoli florets, bell pepper, beans, or tomatoes.
- Rice soup: It is the most comforting and warm dish. Rice with chicken cooked in vegetable or chicken broths is the heart of this preparation. You can add different vegetables to make a unique dish. For example, you may incorporate chickpeas, eggs, and a bit of lemon juice. For a more extravagant taste, include coconut milk, coriander leaves, baby corn, and carrots. A creamier rice soup has evaporated milk and all-purpose flour for thickening.
- Risotto: Typical risotto contains rice, shallots, and garlic cooked with broth and white wine and topped with butter and Parmesan cheese. Mushrooms are an excellent ingredient to include in this rich preparation. Another option would be prawns, oregano, and cherry tomatoes. If you like to have a full meal, include a protein like chicken and turn risotto into a satisfying dinner.
- Fried rice: It is one of the most popular rice dishes. This Asian dish is indeed versatile. You can modify the original recipe and still have a satisfying and delicious dish. Traditional fried rice includes rice, onion or shallots, garlic, eggs, carrots, and peas seasoned with soy sauce and fish sauce. Make your version by incorporating shrimp, sesame oil, and oyster sauce. You can also include beef, onions, and green pepper.Try a vegetarian version with tofu, green onions, carrots, and peas.
- Rice salads: They can be a fresh accompaniment or a full meal for a light dinner. Rice salads are easy to prepare, since you have to mix all ingredients in a bowl, season, and that is all. Simple rice salad contains cooked rice, onion, pepper, tomatoes, and peas dressed with olive oil and lemon juice. Give a Mediterranean twist by incorporating black olives, cherry tomatoes, capers, lettuce, and zucchini.